Quantum Scalar i500
The Intelligent Scalable Midrange Tape Library
The Quantum Scalar® i500 is the intelligent scalable tape library that gives growing midrange storage environments faster, easier, and more reliable data protection. It combines a modular design with continuous robotics to provide industry-leading scalability, performance, and reliability. The Scalar i500 includes Quantum’s iLayer™ software with proactive monitoring and remote diagnostics that can reduce management time by 75%, reduce service calls by 50%, and shorten issue resolution times by 30%. Capacity-on-Demand scalability enables non-disruptive growth as your capacity of data under management grows. The Extended Data Life Management (EDLM) feature ensures your archived media is trouble-free so the data is available when you need it. Security features like FIPS-compliant encryption key management safeguard your data while in the library, after export, and when off-site. And the Scalar i500 is designed to integrate easily with disk backup, making it the perfect library for tiered storage architectures. With the Scalar i500, IT managers are assured of having scalable, reliable, secure, high-performance archive and effective long-term protection for years into the future, no matter how their storage needs evolve.
Features & Benefits:
- iLayer Intelligent Software – Integrated management software makes the i500 easier to manage, reducing administrative time up to 75%.
- Extended Data Life Management – Exclusive iLayer feature ensures availability of data placed in long-term storage/archive/DR.
- Advanced Reporting – Media, drive and security reports improve understanding of library utilization and performance. Automated report scheduling and distribution save time.
- Path Failover – Control path and data path failover features reduce downtime.
- Proactive Monitoring and Remote Diagnostics – Improves service levels by reducing service calls 50% and resolution time by 30%.
- Modular Rack Mount Architecture with Continuous Robotics – Provides flexible scalability without sacrificing reliability; easily deployed in almost any environment.
- Capacity-on-Demand Growth – Simplifies storage provisioning by scaling quickly, easily and without disruption.
- Scalar LTFS – Optional appliance that presents tapes as NAS storage, enabling new ways to manage and access archive files.
- Vision Management Software Support – Lets you monitor the i500 from your cell phone. Reduces management time in multiple-device environments and integrates easily with Quantum disk backup solutions.
- Encryption – FIPS-validated solution with KMIP support makes it easy to manage keys, mitigating risk of lost data. LTO drives use AES 256-Bit Encryption Standard for highest levels of security.
- StorageCare® Guardian Support – Remote monitoring service that improves system reliability without adding cost.
|Quantum Scalar i500 Specifications|
|Module Size||Max Slots||Max Drives||Max Capacity
|5U Control Module||41||2||123||256||615|
9U expansion modules hold up to 92 tapes. At installation, users may select slot activation levels of 0, 46, or 92 tape positions.
|Interface Options:||8Gb fibre channel and 6Gb SAS|
|Inventory Speed:||55 seconds for average 5U configuration; 110 seconds for average 14U configuration|
|Configuration:||Auto-discovery and auto-calibration for installed/added components (modules, tapes, drives, magazines, etc.), drive firmware auto-leveling|
|Import/Export:||Up to 54 media slots in removable magazines|
|Library MSBF:||Greater than 2,000,000|
|Library MTTR:||30 minutes|
|Power:||Optional 2N power for all systems and drives|
|Diagnostics:||Embedded within the library; includes monitoring of major subsystems, self-diagnostic procedures, and policy-based email and pager alerts to system administrators and Quantum Global Services|
|Module Upgrade:||Any storage module may be added in less than 30 minutes; customer-installable components include some drives, fans, power supplies, slot upgrades|
|5U Base System||8.6” × 17.4” × 31.4” (21.9cm × 44.2cm × 79.8cm)||66 lbs (30 Kgs)|
|14U Base System||24.4” × 17.4” × 31.4” (61.9cm × 44.2cm × 79.8cm)||125 lbs (56.8 Kgs)|
|23U Base System||40.1” × 17.4” × 31.4” (101.9cm × 44.2cm × 79.8cm)||184 lbs (83.6 Kgs)|
|9U Expansion Module||15.8” × 17.4” × 31.4” (40cm × 44.2cm × 79.8cm)||59 lbs (26.8 Kgs)|
|Drive||8.9” × 13” × 16.4” (22.6cm × 33cm × 41.7cm)||10 lbs (4.6 Kgs)|
|Power Supply||8.9” × 13” × 16.4” (22.6cm × 33cm × 41.7cm)||5 lbs (2.3 Kgs)|
|Software And Platforms|
|Consult the most recent Quantum Software Compatibility Guide on www.quantum.com for a complete list of software and platforms compatible with Scalar i500.|
|Compliance and Certification|
|Safety Standards:||IEC 60950 with worldwide country deviations|
|Emissions Standards:||CISPR 22 Class A, EN55022 Class A, EN61000-3-2, EN61000-3-3|
|Immunity Standards:||EN 55024|
|International Certifications:||CE (Europe), VCCI (Japan), TUV/GS (Germany), FCC (USA), ICES (Canada), cTUVus (USA & Canada), GOST (Russia), MIC (Korea), BSMI (Taiwan)|
|Electrical:||100-240 VAC, 50-60Hz|
|Temperature:||10 to 35°C operating|
|Humidity:||20 to 80% non-condensing operating|
|Drive Capacity and Performance|
|Drive Type||Cartridge Capacity Native/Compressed1 (TB)||Drive Throughput Native/Compressed1 (MB/sec)|
|LTO-7||6.0 / 15.0||300 / 750|
|LTO-6||2.5 / 6.25||160 / 400|
|LTO-5||1.5 / 3.0||140 / 280|
Assumes 2:1 compression for LTO-5. Assumes 2.5:1 compression for LTO-6 and LTO-7.
|Advanced Reporting:||Media Integrity Analysis report, Media Usage report, Drive Utilization report, Security report and media removal notifications, Report scheduling with automated report creation and delivery to distribution lists|
|Extended Data Life Management:||Media health reports of cartridges stored for long-term archive and DR, information is collected outside of normal operations:
|Path Failover:||Control Path Failover, Data Path Failover|
|Library Partitioning:||Supports up to 18 partitions for tape consolidation|
Download the Quantum Scalar i500 Datasheet (PDF).